Prev: RE: Idiot in distress Next: RE: Idiot in distress

Re: Idiot in distress

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:01:19 PDT
Subject: Re: Idiot in distress

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:18:13 -0500 Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
writes:

>***
>ObGZGbit: Will the advent of FTL & off-Earth colonies revive
>transportation as a judicial punishment, or will colonial efforts be
>too expensive to waste on criminals? Lots of SF authors seem to think
>it'll make a comeback, anyway.
>***

US and Australia started with transportees (to differing degrees) so
perhaps.

>The authors can be all over the map. It can have a high 'humanitarian'
>appeal. 'At least we aren't killing anyone...', ignoring the
>destination or
>even transport may be a death sentence.

If high % fatalities then it's uneconomical.  Has reprucussions.  Not
all
nations created from 'transporting' love the 'motherland' without (in
some cases a lot of) time passing.

>If you recall, in Dune, the Emperor's own Saudauker were the product
>of a
>prison/death world. To carry it further, it could be argued that that
>product could be a dagger in the heart of the empire, if they decide
>become rebels. Just ask USA Georgians... ;->=

No FTL no significant threat in most cases.

>ESU Penal Battalions could become, instead of first wave fodder, the
>do-or-die elite. Or is that often the same result?
>
>The_east

And who is The_West?

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: Idiot in distress Next: RE: Idiot in distress