Prev: [DS] Getting back to the game RE: Engineers Next: Re: More Monster was: Brigade Mech?

Re: [DS] Getting back to the game RE: Engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:13:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Getting back to the game RE: Engineers

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> And again, how much work could such a configuration
> do within the course of
> one game term?  Sure, there are varying sizes of
> enginnering equipment, that
> can do varying amounts of work in a given time, but
> that's a bit too
> fine-grained for DS.

It could dig enough foxholes to put 2-3 dismounted
stands under hard cover.

> Ugh.	I still think that's getting too complicated.
> And the obstacles --
> what about reinforced obstacles, not piddly earthen
> berms?  Should a blade
> clear those?	 What about pop-up mines?  Will they
> still jump when disrupted
> by the blade, and will that pose a threat to the
> vehicle? Again, separate
> the excavation, mine clearing, and demolition
> functions, but standardize
> each.

No shi'ite.  Mr. Gill occasionally forgets that
piddling around the FAS website and owning a demilled
toy car does NOT make him an expert on how real
militaries operate.

> Really sort range is still ranged, and that means
> "Farther than ajacent."
> In addition, ask Mr atkinson if a Demo gun could be
> used against infantry.
> So the rules do seem more geared towards replicating
> the effect of  placed
> demo charges as opposed to a gun.  And in game
> terms, for clearing buildings
> and obstacles, given the rules, I'd rather have a
> DFFG than an engineering
> package.

Yeah.  Demo guns have a really short range (300-500
meters, depending on the precise type) but will
basically kill anything they hit.  Or exposed troopies
standing near where they hit.

John

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: [DS] Getting back to the game RE: Engineers Next: Re: More Monster was: Brigade Mech?