Prev: Re: I'm back Next: BiFrost / PowerProjection

Re: TOE

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 16:29:02 -0400
Subject: Re: TOE

At 1:50 PM -0500 7/3/04, <warbeads@juno.com> wrote:
>Mil Specs.  God's answer to "more is better."

Depends on the milspec actually. I'll bet my
M813A1 against any of the newer FMTVs for
sturdiness. Its just heavier, noisier, a bit more
service intensive in daily maintenance and uses
more fuel. But it's solid. Now, FMTVs when the
work all the bugs out and get the privates
trained to not treat them like a POS CUCV, then
they'll be somewhere.

>Seriously, more 'capabilities' means more things to break/fix.

So you subscribe to the Russian model? "Feh,
gunner doesn't need range finder, just tell him
to estimate....fire enough times, he figure it
out."

I'll stick with the extra bits....

>Based on personal experience in 7 years in the USAF and three years as
>supply sergeant in a category 15 priority Army Reserve unit I (almost)
>believe the report from years ago that a private broke a splinter
shield
>off an old direct fire artillery display piece unaided by power tools
by
>accident.  I have the utmost faith that one of the worst things a
>sergeant can say is "What harm can one private do to [fill in the
>blank]?"

Nothing if private proof. Worse yet, I have a
co-worker at CNN that can managed to mangle
anything mechanical if you give him time. He can
barely even install a system level on the four
corner in a rack frame. What's scary is that he
was a West Pointer.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: I'm back Next: BiFrost / PowerProjection