Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

RE: [OT] Happy Canada Day!

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:47:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [OT] Happy Canada Day!

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, John C. Malis wrote:

> I didn't find this post humorous at all but rather alienating.

Huh? It was a joke, a satirical comment on both my country (Canada) and
our great[1] neighbour to the south, with whom we have (among other
things) our major national[ist] holidays very close together. We also
have
very different founding histories, hence the dead-lawyers vs
successful-insurrection joke.

The 'People's Democratic Revolutionary etc etc etc' line was a polsci
joke
- pointing out how words get grossly misused by the passage of history.
Given how much future history/GZGverse stuff gets talked about here, it
might even be vaugely on topic.

Dog, I hate having to explain jokes & satire to people...

> your own web page an off of this mail list.

Just for the record, there is a (quite deliberate) lack of overt
political
content on my website[2]. I do link (on my main/index page) to a wide
variety of international organizations, some of whom are contraversial -
Greenpeace, for example - but I do so with NO commentary, just the link
various homepages. *I* don't always agree entirely with all of the
organizations I link to; I don't expect any visitors to either. I just
think they're worth the webspace, for various reasons.

The vast majority of my site (ie every page except about half of
index.html) is strictly wargaming.

Brian.
http://warbard.port5.com/games.html
[1] My respect for the United States as a great nation with a great
history - much of which we share - must be seperated from my admitted
utter lack of respect for the current occupant of the White House & his
advisors.
[2] The exception might be my 'Miserable Failure' link, but that's such
great piece of Google-bombing - at such a deserving target - that it's
staying where it is.

Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE