Prev: RE: [ADMIN] Slew of stuck messages unstuck Next: [OFFICIAL] For our UK and European customers....

[FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

From: matt tope <mptope@o...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:47:37 +0100
Subject: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

Hi all,

I have another FT device for you all to mull over and pronounce judgment

upon, if you would be so kind.

I wanted a cloaking/stealth system that was plain and simple to use,
without hidden movement (most of the games I take part in are around
4-6000pts a side, hidden movement cloaking system can drag things out a
bit in games of this size unfortunately).

So I got to thinking how I could have a simple "cloaking" system. The
revised fighter rules which were posted here a few months back gave me
an idea with the "introduction"  DRMs, so here goes:

(Partial?) Stealth/Cloaking system.

Mass: 5% of vessel mass (?)
Cost: 4 x mass used (?)
The system does not provide a full cloak, the vessel can still be
tracked by other vessels but not with any real accuracy. The systems
current state (active or deactivated, A or D for short) is noted in its
orders each turn. Any change in status takes effect at the start of
vessel movement (see also thresholds).

Effects on cloaked vessel.
When activated the vessel is moved as normal but a counter or other
marker is used to denote that it is "cloaked".
A cloaked vessel may not fire any weapons (including PDS), launch
ordinance or fighters.
Screens on the cloaked vessel remain active when the vessel is cloaked.

Effects upon incoming fire.
When fired on by direct fire weapons all dice suffer a -3 DRM. Any hits
inflicted cause damage as normal.
Beam re-rolls: The -3 DRM means only re rolls, no hits, are inflicted by

any 6's on the first roll. If the cloaked vessel has screens then these
DO effect any re-rolls from the initial batch of dice rolled. Any re
rolls from the re rolls penetrate the screens as normal.

Effects vs Ordinance weapons.
PBL's operate as normal. The vessel may be cloaked but if it runs into a

vast plasma explosion then the cloak won't be of much help.
AMT's, may be used as normal except they cannot make the 6mu burn to
close on a cloaked vessel. They can still make their burn if an
uncloaked vessel is within range as normal. A cloaked vessel caught in
the blast radius of an AMT will suffer damage as normal.
Salvo missiles/Heavy missiles: Not quite sure here...tempted to say they

cannot attack a cloaked vessel and leave it at that, however I am open
to suggestions on this one.

Fighters:
Fighters may attack cloaked vessels, the -3DRM applies. Torpedo bombers
cannot fire their torps on a cloaked target, however they can, like
other fighters, escort the cloaked vessel and wait for it to uncloak....

Threshold effects on cloak.
If the cloaking system is thresholded then it fails with immediate
effect.

Other notes:
Also unsure on interaction with needle beams. Tempted to say cannot be
fired upon a cloaked vessel. Once again open to ideas here!

Feed back is welcome, especially in regard to mass and cost of the
system.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: RE: [ADMIN] Slew of stuck messages unstuck Next: [OFFICIAL] For our UK and European customers....