Prev: IF weapons Q Next: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:03:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside

> > challenge.	Likewise, in the Napoleonic era, I
> > played the Russians.  The
> > French had it all over them, but they were neat.  I
> > loved the
> > semi-immobile masses, big (though not that
> > effective) guns, and the fact
> > that while could barely manuever (comparatively),
> > they  would stand and
> > hold forever.
>
> I really do think that this view of Russian troops
> (reinforced by most Nappy-era games) is exaggerated,
> and that the Russians were for the most part not much
> worse than any of Napoleon's other opponents.
>
> John

   Hmm, I'm not so sure.  It does seem that Napoleonic Russian doctrine
was
 less flexible than the French (everyone's was :-) ), and that would
certainly
 lead to a decreased maneuverability on the unit level.  The Russian
troops
 were pretty good though.  I'm starting to wonder if that a lot of the
Russian
 ability to hold ground was because their guns were really very numerous
and
 fairly effective, and tended to chew up attacks before they hit hard.
It
 ends up working basically the same, just a different mechanism.

  grant

Prev: IF weapons Q Next: Re: My own comments on Re: mixing technology force in Dirtside