Prev: Re: Auftragstaktik Next: Re: Auftragstaktik

Re: Auftragstaktik

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:39:51 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Auftragstaktik

John Leary schrieb:
> > I have read discussions by Bundeswehr officers that
> > the long peace time has  tended to enhance bureaucracy, excessive
careerism
> > and to reduce independent  thinking.

>      You have hit with great effect on the major
> problems of the modern military era.	 The media has
> been allowed to politicize the battle front and the
> politicians have far too much voice in the (small
> unit) conduct of the war.   Those who sit in judgement
> (from the VERY SAFE rear areas) are quick to condemn
> those who must carry out the orders.

Actually, I was thinking more of the military chain of command rather
than the politicians and media. But yes, those play a role in that
development, too.

On the other hand, I don't think political involvement and public
opinion have been irrelevant in earlier wars. Communications were
slower and more patchy, but remember Clausewitz' phrase about warfare
as politics by other means. I think it doesn't just refer to foreign
policy vis-a-vis the enemy, but also to allies and to domestic policy.
Support for a war was always needed, or recruits wouldn't have been
available, cities would surrender at first sight of the enemy, allies
would send excuses instead of troops etc. And it is an old phenomenon.
Sun Tzu advises that commanders in the field should be able to operate
independently from the King in the capital, and Caesar may have written
his commentaries to justify his actions to the Roman public ( OK, to
the Roman nobility)

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Auftragstaktik Next: Re: Auftragstaktik