Prev: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 00:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

--- "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:
> Certainly Bush likes to talk the talk...
> Didn't Bush's Administration ignore General
> Shinseki's warning about the
> number of troops needed to occupy Iraq ?
-------
I will grant that Saddam was a 'student' of Stalin,
politically if not on the military side.

> Weren't a lot of warnings and planning suggestions
> by military, intelligence
> and foreign policy experts ignored ?
-------
Foreign policy types at the state department didn't
want ANY action at all!

> Haven't they tried to get away with doing the
> operations on the cheap, with
> not enough of lots of stuff from spare parts to
> armoured  Humvees ?
--------
Thank Pres Clinton for the cuts in the military and
intellegence, as well as the supporting votes by
Kerry and the rest of the democrats while they
ran the show.

While
> there is still lots of money for such absurd
> projects as "Star Wars" Missile
> defence ? And for Civilian contractors in Iraq
> messing up anything from
> logistics to security ?
>
> And can anybody give a plausible reason why a former
> Saddam general has been
> intalled as commander of the "Fallujah Brigade",
> which contains at least
> some of the insurgents, apparently with consent from
> pretty high up ?
-------
Could it be that this general is not one of the
Republician Guard?   One hopes that this appointment
is similar the the appointment of Johannes Steinhoff
the a major force in the organization ot the
new German Air Force after WWII.   (I really don't
think so, but one can hope!)

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat