Prev: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: Culture

Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 14:42:26 +1000
Subject: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat

From: "Mark Sykes" <tardis@byterocky.net>

> *AHEM*
> North of the border between Queensland and the Southern types there
> are some differences that we "northeners" put down to the
> ameliorating effects of the heat and lack of shoulder-to-shoulder
> living practiced by the inhabitants "down south".
> Please be aware that we are speaking of all of Australia north of the
> Queensland/NSW border and that does represent a land mass comparable
> to most of Europe.
> We have more in common with the Taswegians in that we are used to the
> way that the politicians ignore us. The accents and dialect words are
> discernable. (part of my job)
> The proposal is that cultural differences can occur as a result of
> climate effects as well as the perception that there is a
> centrally-navel-gazing government clique looking after themselves who
> "see not the others".
> ;-)

I should add that I live in Canberra, otherwise known in Queensland
as "The Enemy", "Barad-Dur" etc.

Think of the great regard and respect the hardworking Gummint Employees
of
Washington DC are held in by some in the US, and you get the idea.

Mark has the misfortune to live in a place subject to periodic
infestations of Sea-Wasps (Box Jellyfish - really, really venomous
even by Australian standards), Cyclones, Peanut-Farming and
Fish-and-Chip
shop-owning politicians, and other noxious things.

It's also God's Own Country, and some would say the best spot on
the planet to live in.

This is getting humungously OT, but I'd be interested in the few
regional variations of that Borg of Languages there are here in Oz.
Just as the Innuit have (supposedly) many names for snow, the names
of standard glasses of beer in Oz vary from state to state. But what
else?

Prev: Re: Culture was Re: [OT] Vietnam and modern combat Next: Re: Culture