Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Pics Next: Re: [FT] Ship Pics

Re: [FT] Ship Pics

From: Nicholas John Dingle <njd200@d...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:01:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship Pics

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in getting back - with it being bank-holiday
weekend I didn't have chance to check my email.

>From The_Beast:

> Particularly liked both the merchants and the separate colors on the
> modules, and how you worked the the non-GZG into matching color
schemes.

Thanks! I'd originally intended to add more detail to the pods -
names, logos and the like - but they never seemed to come out right. I
have some of Brigade's smaller container ships as well, and have done
something similar with them. Plus one of their Heavy Freighters
(SFS-5006) which I painted yellow, and now it looks like a Vogon
Constructor Ship....

> Not sure if the 'German' work as NSL as well as the SDN fits the ESU,
but
> that's personal taste.

The rest of my German fleet (well, squadron) is made up of GZG/Eureka
Oceanic Union ships, which match the flat, rectangular shape of the
Brigade BB/CVL quite well. I do have a few unpainted GZG NSL ships and
am planning to have them as interchangeable small power ships, perhaps
Russian or Argentine.....

I'd agree the SDN fits with ESU ships very well. Its shape is very
similar to GZG's BDN & CA (Voroshilov) in that range.

>From Roger:

> I'd say that there is one technique which will get better results than

> any other single thing (apart from focusing correctly): transverse
> light. Miniatures by their nature tend to lose a bit of surface detail

> compared with the "real thing"; and the conventional camera strobe,
> nearly coaxial with the lens, washes that out even further. I like to
> have light coming in at about 45 degrees from the lens axis and not
use
> a built-in flash at all.

OK. The lighting for these photos was provided by the two hallogen
ceiling lights I have in my room. They're poseable, so I tried to
direct them in such a way that they didn't bathe the minis in light
too badly. Are those types of bulbs preferable to standard 60W-ers for
photographing by, or is it much of a muchness?

Thanks to all again,

Nick

Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Pics Next: Re: [FT] Ship Pics