Prev: Short range ad hoc networks Next: Re: Short range ad hoc networks

Re: Short range ad hoc networks

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:11:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Short range ad hoc networks

At 7:39 AM -0700 4/30/04, Robert Makowsky wrote:
>Check out this article on DARPA network stuff:
>
>I see this research as part of the soldier net ad hoc
>network scheme.  Small bits of data such as
>
>-ALPHA TEAM GO 210 500M.  HOLD POSITION BELOW RIDGE
>LINE-
>
>interesting stuff.  We were talking about something
>like this a few weeks ago in regards to SG comms.

Blue tooth, 802.11b, 802.11g and all that certainly provide enough of
this for ideas. The only major problem is that if you're emitting RF,
you're easier to detect. Your unit has to spend time dropping other
dummy emitters to compensate and muddy the waters to keep your
enemy's information value to a minimum. Now, laser based signals or
something that is very short ranged would help, but lasers need fancy
controls to keep it all tuned and low power transmitters can still be
detected with good strong signals.

Though, to be honest, if you're in combat, they probably already know
you're there. Your greatest problem up to then is keeping your
signals quiet until you make contact so as to prevent giving your
positions away. A burst transmit type system would be best, how to
build that in real world is certainly tricky.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Short range ad hoc networks Next: Re: Short range ad hoc networks