Prev: Starship fleet for NPC - comments please Next: Hammer's Slammers Handbook

RE: Psychology of combat, was Re: Vietnam and modern combat

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:36:56 -0500
Subject: RE: Psychology of combat, was Re: Vietnam and modern combat

> Dawgie said:
> > mostly they fight for themselves, their mates, and their unit,
> rarely if
> > at all for such lofty ideals as  flag, mom and the	girl next door.
>
> In a related vein, I'm reading a book called "On Killing" by a former
> US Army Ranger, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, who also taught psychology at
> West Point), examining why soldiers do (or don't) choose to kill, and
> the psychological effects on the soldiers. Worth taking a look at the
> reviews on Amazon.

Nice to see someone *else* recommending this book. I agree, it's an
excellent book - check out his website www.killology.com also.

An excellent book on the decision-making process in combat (and
conflict)
situations is _The psychology of conflict and combat_ by Ben Shalit, who
was
an Israeli military psychologist. It's harder to find, and a dryer read,
but
excellent.

David A. Rodemaker

Prev: Starship fleet for NPC - comments please Next: Hammer's Slammers Handbook