Prev: Re: Dirtside/Future Wars Catalog pics? Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat

Re: Vietnam and modern combat

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:44:55 +0200
Subject: Re: Vietnam and modern combat

Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

>From: "Derk Groeneveld" <derk@cistron.nl>
>

>>>And still very happy to have USN presence in the region I'm sure.
>>>Still, from what I've heard, your sub forces are cheekey bastards
that
>>>like to take pictures of USN Carrier hulls from underwater.
>>>

>>Sounds like the Dutch ones, too ;)
>>

>>From some of the pictures I saw while working at Hollandse Signaal
Apparaten
>(HSA, Signaal) - could be. :-)

Nowadays Thales Netherlands BV - but m ost people often seem to forget
that and still call it Signaal. Similarly, most every department change
names at least once or twice over the last 8 years. Most people stop
keeping track ;)

But yeah, there's some pictures, and many more in Den Helder (Dutch
naval base). Also, there's one sub's crew that at some point took to
wearing caps with their sub "eating" a Nimitz class carrier...
Apparantly they'd "sunk" it during an exercise and got away to boot -
much to the US admiral's displeasure. Diesel subs in shallow waters can
be downright nasty....

>My favourite was the one taken through the periscope of a German U-206
class
>boat, showing the very slavic features of the pilot of a Ka-25A
HORMONE-A ASW
>helicopter, staring impassively at the scope. The helo must have been
all of
>20 feet away. I've often wondered what's Russki for *GOTCHA*

Lol. That must've been bad for someone's rep, too...

Cheers,

    Derk

Prev: Re: Dirtside/Future Wars Catalog pics? Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat