Prev: RE: Random thoughts from Salute Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat

Long winded comment Re: Vietnam and modern combat

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:02:38 -0500
Subject: Long winded comment Re: Vietnam and modern combat

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:28:36 +1000 <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au> writes:
>G'day,
<snip>
>> The US deliberately puts troops from our
>> client sta--"loyal allies" in lower-threat areas.
>
>I know you're doing this to bait John, but I would respectfully ask
>you
>not to make these kind of comments. Regardless of how "client" out
>governments may be acting the citizens of countries such as the United
>Kingdom and Australia find such comments highly insulting.
>
>Thanks
>
>Beth

John,

Normally I keep my nose out of other people's humor but don't you think
that was a little over reaching?  The problem with either teasing or
baiting is that you can accidentally go (to paraphrase)  'a quip too
far'
by  a simple misjudgment (especially through this body-language less,
tone less, and grin  less (emoticons only go so far) medium of e-mail.)
Disagree with me, as is your privilege, if you think I am out of line
but
__I__  winced when I read it.  And I don't even LIKE the Department of
State 'diplomats' that can't say 'bad' in less then two glowing (in
terms
of Korea perhaps literally) paragraphs.

A lot like "Cousin Jonathan" comments during the 1700's/1800's from our
then estranged UK relatives.

Now I know my boss would be surprised to hear any PC-ness from me (but
then since he is an INTEL weenie of the first water I know I do a lot of
it just to remind him that the ex-DMA people never asked to become part
of the "community" [drafted is a nice parallel though he won't admit it]
) but I feel I need to make my opinion felt in this matter.  Of course
he
isn't an INTEL weenie.	That was just an expression.

I know you were having fun but I am reminded that I am (officially I
don't know this for some stupid reason as of Monday) that I am supposed
to brief a person from [a four letter agency newly formed in one of  the
Pacific rim nations] on a matter Wednesday [when I scheduled for
training
elsewhere, go figure] and from previous experience I can say that I
personally appreciate the help "they" may or may not be giving (and they
are not doing this, if they are doing it,  altruistically, they benefit
too) my work group but considering the heat of	some of the Video
Tele-Conferences that others have been in (professional differences on
priorities and 'how' to do some things) "Client State" seems a bit
different from experienced reality.  Professional Collaboration does not
occur with Client states.  Nations do not have friends (people do, but
not nations) but common interests.

Or so realpolitik says.

A Byzantine (snicker) should know that.  Oh, sorry - Roman.  East Roman,
IIRC.  Incoming!

Please note that I did not say he/she above was Australian.  I can
neither confirm or deny gender, nationality or anyone was briefed about
anything.

I can neither confirm or deny my own existence... or that Australia even
exists.  Hell, this e-mail would probably send my boss in a paroxysm of
emotions if he even thought I mentioned where I worked or what I did
(and
of course I didn't.)

Okay, rant over.

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: Random thoughts from Salute Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat