Prev: RE: Vietnam and modern combat Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat

Phalon Beta Test: Ver. 1.1b online

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:30:59 +0000
Subject: Phalon Beta Test: Ver. 1.1b online

My apologies to those of you who will receive this message multiple
times.

Based on feedback, I have updated the Phalon public beta test rules. You
can find the rules on my site. The direct link is:

http://home.att.net/~agoodall/sg2/sg2-bds.html

There are several documents available for download. I have the full
rules and a version history document that lists the changes to the full
rules. The version history document is useful for those who already have
the full rules and don't want to bother downloading it again. Both
documents are in four formats: A4 paper in Rich Text Format, A4 paper in
an Acrobat PDF, 8.5" by 11" paper in RTF, and 8.5" by 11" paper in PDF.

Beside some formatting changes and some minor editing fixes, there are
two major changes in version 1.1b (the "b" stands for "beta").

Cross Training
The cross training rules have been substantially changed. In summary,
the changes are as follows:

1. Cross training has been extended beyond support weapons to cover
special equipment, such as EW gear, FAO gear, etc.
2. An Equipment Recovery Test is necessary to recover the equipment or
weapon. The test is functionally identical to a TL2 Reaction Test.
3. Equipment can be recovered from other squads.

The cross training rules are quite a bit longer now because they cover
situations that may arise from the new rules.

Support Pulsers
The Phalon support pulser has been changed. It still has three settings,
but these are:
- FP D12, Impact D6
- FP D10, Impact D8
- FP D8, Impact D10* (*means double damage due to a MAJOR HIT on a point
target)

Support pulsers are no longer "best of breed" in any of its settings.
That is, some human support weapons have better impact for the
firepower, or vice versa. This is, of course, offset by the fact that
support pulsers can change their settings. Also, the plasma projector
has the standard FP D6, Impact D12* of a plasma infantry gun. The way
the support pulser was originally created (before Jon released a 15mm
figure with a plasma projector) the top end impact setting of the
support pulser matched the plasma projector. This begged the question of
why anyone would use a plasma projector when the support pulser did the
same thing but was more versatile.

I also added some folk to the acknowledgments list:  Adrian Johnson for
his general comments, Matt Tope for his comments on Phalon government,
Brendan Robertson for prompting me to change the support pulser
settings, Mark Donald for suggesting that I change the die roll for
equipment recovery, and Oerjan Ohlson for suggesting that the equipment
recovery die roll be based on the Quality Die.

Any questions or comments should be directed to Allan Goodall at
agoodall@hyperbear.com .

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: RE: Vietnam and modern combat Next: RE: Vietnam and modern combat