Prev: RE: DSII Pdf Next: Re: FTJava V0.13 released

Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

From: Matt Tope <mptope@o...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:28:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighter thoughts

Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>>Also bear in mind that in typical encounters the amount of ordanance
fired would often exceed the number of available fighter groups tasked
>>to intercept it.
>>
>> PDS and fighters definetly, but just fighters...eeek.
>>

  > Don't they typically exceed the number of available of PDS as well?

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. What I meant was that if a
fleet relies solely on Fighters alone, and say, for example, it has 8
fighter groups, it will start to get into difficulty if it is attacked
with 9+ ordnance style weapons (SML's, PBL's, AMT's).

Now, the other week, I had a small 2000 cpv fleet, consisting of 4
destroyers, 1 heavy cruiser and 2 light carriers which between them had
24 PDS, 26 B-2 and 8 heavy fighter groups. These in turn were swarmed by
55 boarding pods (from a 4000 cpv fleet), fortunately in three waves. In
the end I only lost 1 destroyer to boarding, the heavy concentrations of
PDS/B-2/fighters managing to take care of everything else (well, apart
from 1 Boarding pod which successfully reached one of the CVL's, but the
crew of the carrier were able to deal with the boarding with minimal
casualties).

However, in dealing with the boarding pods I was unable to concentrate
fire on the enemy fleet...which then blew away the 2 of the remaining
destroyers, and the heavy cruiser, and half a CVL with sub-munition
packs before my allies (2000 cpv of more regular direct fire design)were
able to turn round and chase the enemy off...talk about a close
shave...(I only lost 1 fighter group though, gotta love those heavy
fighters! :-D ).

Bit of an extreme example, in regards to the discussion as a whole, I
know but it was fun.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: RE: DSII Pdf Next: Re: FTJava V0.13 released