Prev: GEV on other worlds Next: Re: GEV on other worlds

Re: Vector movement fighters

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:49:00 +0100
Subject: Re: Vector movement fighters

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:36:13AM +0200, Leszek 'Leslie' Karlik wrote:
>OK, yesterday I've played may first Full Thrust game ever.
>(I got the FT rulebook, Polish edition [1] for a Christmas present).

Congratulations! Not to mention Welcome to GZG-L!

>[I don't like this initiative advantage that a two-player alliance has
> over a one player task force, though the ability of a larger point
> total fleet to field large ships may be somewhat of a counter.]

Generally when I play more than two-sided, I divide the forces into two
"sides" and allow free choice of unit to activate within each.

>The problem is, we intend to use bigger fleets next time, so fighters
>will have to come into play. However, I'm not sure whether using
>vector movement for fighters won't break stuff too badly - the FT FAQ
>says that fighters keep their normal rules even when vector movement
>is used, but I find this somewhat... disconcerting.

It works pretty well in practice as long as you don't have a large
enough playing area that ships outrun fighters. Most of the time the
results you get are close enough to the ones you get from the standard
rules that you might as well have _used_ the standard rules.

Have you looked into the beta-test fighter rules posted to this list?
See the archives at http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200403/msg00286.html
if not. (These are not intended for distribution beyond the GZG list
just yet - they're still being worked on - but they may still be of some
interest in fixing the problem you haven't met yet, that huge numbers of
fighters will outdo almost any other weapon system...)

Roger

Prev: GEV on other worlds Next: Re: GEV on other worlds