Prev: RE: Battlestar Galactia? Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?

Kafer [SGII] Alien seed

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:05:44 +0200
Subject: Kafer [SGII] Alien seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C" <john1x@hotmail.com>

> > >The Kaffir.
> >
> >OK, three spellings is enough. It was "Kafer", as in the German for
> >Cockroach.

Minor pedantry:

The German actually is "Käfer", and means "Beetle" in general -
including
the Volkswagen "Beetle" ;-).

The letter Ä is pronounced something like the first "e" in "where". If
no
German font is available, it is replaced by the letters "ae", not by a
plain
"a".

Thus, a German would write those aliens "Kaefer".

"Kafer" to me looks/sounds like an entirely diferent word (actually like
the
Arab / Suaheli Kaffir/Kaffer "Pagan" tribes). In Traveller adventures, I
never associated it with "bug" until I read it in a discussion of
Traveller.

Linguistically
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: Battlestar Galactia? Next: Re: [FT] graser-1 slightly overpowered?