Prev: Re: FT: 6-arc weapons (was Graser...) Next: Re: This is a test

Re: [SGII] Alien seed

From: Mark Donald <mark.donald@f...>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:50:15 +0100
Subject: Re: [SGII] Alien seed

Thanks for the feedback, Beth. I think you're right, on the face of it,
the
first idea looks simplest and most fun.

Mark

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> G'day,
>
> > Then the player is able to upgrade some of his force's
> > quality and leadership counters according to the dictates
> > of the battle.
>
> Defiitely sounds worth pursuing as an alien idea! Having seen some
> invert colonies in action I have less of a problem with a hive mind
than
> Laserlight does ;)
>
> > For example, it could be that the player has a certain number of
blue,
> > orange and red counters of varying leadership. At the start of a
turn,
> > he can then substitute some squad's yellow counters for the vet and
> elite
> > types depending on where he thinks the extra quality is most
urgently
> needed.
> > This represents the hive mind 'personally' tuning in to that area of
> the battle
> > and directing those particular squads with all the force of its vast
> alien will.
>
> I like this idea of just having x chits on the board and shuffling
them
> about as need be, I think that would produce a very interesting force
> work with and against.
>
> > Another way it could work is by using Node units which act as
outposts
> > and conduits for the Consciousness. Node units can upgrade the
quality
> > of a certain number of slave squads within a certain range. E.G. a
> Red/1
> > Quality/Leadership node could transfer its counter to create one Red
> /1
> > squad within 12". Or two Red/2 squads or three Red/3 squads. While
an
> > Orange/2 Node could create one Orange/2 squad within 10" or two
> Orange/3 squads.
>
> While also a good idea I think this one would be harder to get to work
> "fairly" in practice as its not a linear progression in usefulness as
> you move through the leadership values per colour... A Red/1 is not
> worth 3xRed/3 as just being red is incredibly important in the first
> place and so being 1 rather than 3 isn't that much better.
>
> > Another method might be to give the player Savas'ku style power
> points.
> > He then distributes these among his squads to raise their base level
> quality
> > and leadership and perhaps even armour and movement every turn.
>
> While also a cool idea I think this would be more an FMAS level thing
as
> it would probably bog down an SG game and require a fair amount of
book
> keeping (I have been trying to think up good ways of avoiding this
> particular problem myself, so if you come up with any I'd been keen to
> here it!)
>
> > One other thing I'd like to try is to allow the Consciousness
> [...]

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please reply to
this email and then delete it. Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Future.

The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. Future accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.

Future may regularly and randomly monitor outgoing and incoming emails
and other telecommunications on its email and telecommunications
systems. By replying to this email you give your consent to such
monitoring.

Prev: Re: FT: 6-arc weapons (was Graser...) Next: Re: This is a test