Prev: Re: FT: boom and zoom tactics Next: Re: solitaire cloaking??

Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times

From: DOCAgren@a...
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:57:14 EST
Subject: Re: ? for the FT players or anyone with RW Naval Build Times

Seeing how I read from the Digest, I will answer a bunch of these as
well.

<<Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:48:23 +0000

From: Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org>

The overall total is 4964.52 TMF/year, 16772.1 NPV/year. (This is for

the entire NAC, naturally.) The highest total for a single class is the

Huron-class light cruiser, 725 TMF/year and 2421.5 NPV/year. The lowest

is for the Harrison scoutship, 54 TMF/year and 189 NPV/year. (Even then,

was can't say that this represents the total output of a single yard, or

anything useful like that.)

But other than this very vague guideline, I think it's going to vary a

_lot_ based on campaign background and assumptions.>>

I looked at the FT books as what the Powers were putting out at the time
from
their overall yards, however this doesn't cover Prototypes, civilian
ships or
Fleet support Ships.   So I figure that that the ship totals can be
easly
doubled, but U cut down on non-Combat Ships.

 But a good point.  If that just 1 yard  Damm  it got to be a big yard.

As for background I was looking for a small non-canon GZG nation I'm
working
up The Midgard Herding, so it will be working GZG background

<<From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@webone.com.au>

RW build times for ships vary wildly.

2 years is about right for a 3,500 tonne ship

5 years is about right for a 80,000 tonne ship

Divide by at least 2 in times of emergency/hot war.

Try SQRT(mass) x 10 weeks.

eg Mass 36 ship - 60 weeks (just over 1 year)

Mass 256 ship - 160 weeks (just over 3 years)>>

Okay this is workable....  ANd sort of what I was looking for.	Thanks.

<<From: Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net>

Doug Evans wrote:

> Not sure if the previous inquistor wanted to know, but would a slip(?)
in a

> shipyard capable of building an 80,000 tonne be a) capable of building
just

> one 3,500 tonne at a time, b) capable of multiple smaller ships, or c)

> wouldn't be used for such a small ship, even if the need were great?

RW ship construction is limited by the size of the slips and dry docks,

but since orbital yards will have a little more space handy, this may

not be an issue.  That is, it only needs to be a limitation if you want

it to be.>>

Well, I beleive that my Space Fleets will be built in Space Docks.  With
each
"drydock" having fixed sizes.
My reasons:
Living Space for yardcrews
Some protection in cases solar storm or attacks for both ship, parts and

build crews
Part Storage for things that the ship building will need (unless you
have
prefected Just in Time Delivery Sysytem with requirement to move stuff
between
yard and either planet below or even other systems.
The ability to build  at somewhere between .3 to .7 G for make of
construction
And lastly the fact that the yard crews can work in "light (see US
shuttle
crews outfits) space suits vrs full pressure suits that a "free floating
yard".

Have a Good One,

DOC Agren

     (Lurker on the Digest)

Prev: Re: FT: boom and zoom tactics Next: Re: solitaire cloaking??