Prev: going to incommunicado status Next: Drat that computer (or me)

Re: UNSC beta and FB3

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:30:27 -0600
Subject: Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Thanks for the definitions from your viewpoint/understanding.

War gamers don't usually use precise language about such details, yet we
differebntiate between Hussars and Chevau Legers.... Especially in a
Science FICTION game about technologies, like FTL,  that don't (and in
some cases can't) exist.

Gracias,
Glenn

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:22:08 -0800 (PST) Jared Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com>
writes:
>--- warbeads@juno.com wrote:
>>
>> He is using seeker and sensor as different things.  A most "un-war
>> game" thing to do.  I never have heard them used that way in any
>intel
>> briefing.
>>

>I made the distinction to prevent obfuscation by anyone trying to
>assert that using a *passive sensor* rather than an *active sensor*
>means that the *seeker* is "not active".
>
>That being said, here are the definitions in more detail than I
>thought
>was needed.  Caps are for emphasis only.
>
>1) The SENSOR is a sub-system of the SEEKER.
>
>2) The SENSOR is the system that detects radiated, emitted, or
>reflected energy or signals from the target.
>
>2a) A PASSIVE SENSOR only detects energy or signals from the target.
>It can detect radiated energy (such as thermal/IR), emitted energy
>(such as from the target's own active systems), or energy reflected
>from an outside source (such as laser designation or radar from the
>launch platform).  A passive sensor does not emit any signals and
>therefor is more difficult for the target to counter, or even detect
>it's operation.
>
>2b) An ACTIVE SENSOR emits energy and/or signals, then detects the
>reflected energy/signal.  The most common example would be a missile
>emitting a radar signal and detecting the return or a torpedo emitting
>sound pulses ("pings") and detecting the return.
>
>3) A SEEKER takes information from the SENSOR (of whatever type)
>processes the data and makes decisions about what is a real target and
>how to steer the weapon to that target.
>
>3a) An ACTIVE SEEKER is operating.
>
>3b) An INACTIVE SEEKER is not operating.
>
>Sea Skimming and other OTH missiles have the seeker inactive during
>their approach to the target area until a predesignated point to save
>on battery life (the "pickle") because the target is not visible even
>if the seeker was active.  At that predesignated point the seeker is
>activated and begins searching for a (or the) target.	This is often
>in
>conjunction with a "pop-up" maneuver" where the missile rapidly climbs
>
>to gain a wider field of view and then begins the target acquisition
>search.
>
>A terrain following missile has one or more sensors and a navigation
>system operating during flight to detect terrain features and compare
>them to stored data and the intended route.  This is separate from the
>seeker which is activated at a predesignated point to search for the
>target.
>
>AAMs and SAMs are pickled on the launcher, and the sensor unmasked (or
>turned on).  The operator confirms  that the senor can "see" the
>target
>and that the seeker has properly identified the target.  The missile
>is
>then launched with the seeker active during the entire flight time.

> [...]

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: going to incommunicado status Next: Drat that computer (or me)