Prev: Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3

Re: Graser beam observations

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:56:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

Jared Hilal wrote:

> >It has been shown repeatedly that a fleet of mosquitos can
> >successfully take out an equivalent massed/point-costed
> >larger single opponent ship.
>
>Then why is there such a push for CPV?

The "mosquitos" Indy talks about here are single-weapon, single-hull box

strike boats like the ones Glen used. The reason for the CPV is that a
fleet of destroyers and/or cruisers - ie. considerably larger than
"mosquitos", but still not particularly large - usually *can't* take out
an
equivalent massed/point-costed larger single opponent ship.

>Won't it just make the situation more pronounced as large ship get more

>expensive and small
>ships get cheaper?

Not much. Thanks to the rounding errors (actually "rounding features" in

this case :-/ ) the "mosquito"-type strikeboats gain less from the CPV
system than the mid-sized ships do - and it is the mid-sized ships that
need the help most.

> >>Now, on the other hand, a 3-arc Graser-3 has the mass
> >>of 36.  This is equivalent to 6x 3-arc Pulse Torpedo
> >>Launchers.	I'll take the PTLs.  Hmm, but that potential
> >>of 2d6 damage out to range 54" has me wondering.... :)
>
>How about 6x 3-arc B3's?  We have always found B3's more effective
>against any target with less than screen-3 (which we continue to use
>from FT2).  That is why we allow PTs rerolls

!?!? You have to be kidding. The average damages inflicted by one shot
of
these two weapons (assuming the same number of fire arcs on both, so
they're the same Mass and cost) are:

Range		0-6	6-12	12-18	18-24	24-30	30-36
P-torp	(std)	2.92	2.33	1.75	1.17	0.58	0
P-torp (Hilal)	3.5	2.8	2.1	1.4	0.7	0
B3 vs scr-0	2.4	2.4	1.6	1.6	0.8	0.8
B3 vs scr-1	1.9	1.9	1.27	1.27	0.63	0.63
B3 vs scr-2	1.4	1.4	0.93	0.93	0.47	0.47
B3 vs scr-3	0.9	0.9	0.6	0.6	0.3	0.3

Even against level-1 screens, the B3 only beats the standard P-torp
outside
range 18 (and not by very much it doesn't beat the P-torp by very much);

inside range 18 the P-torp wins hands down. Against level-*2* screens
the
P-torp beats the B3 at all ranges it can reach, leaving only the 30-36
mu
band for the B3 to shine.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes Next: Re: Missiles was Re: UNSC beta and FB3