Prev: Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes Next: Re: Boo!

Re: Graser beam observations

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:59:46 -0000
Subject: Re: Graser beam observations

Glen wrote:

>Finally got to test out the graser beams.  The general consensus is
>that
>they are too strong.  But, this is in regard to us using lots of
>class-1
>Grasers with 6 arcs.  IMO, the mass is too small, its the same as a
>SMR (mass 4) and someone made the claim that it was like having an
>unlimited supply of missiles.	The mass of a 6-arc class-1 Graser
>should
>probably be 5.  I had a mass-244 ship with 6 SMRs and lots of beams.
>I swapped out the 6 SMRs for 6-arc class-1 Grasers and toasted
>ships with them.

>I also tried out a 1-arc class-1 Graser strike boat, mass at 7,
>costing 30
>(main drive was advanced).  I got 33 for 1000 points, lost 7 and
>destroyed a dreadnought-sized ship.  Steve had made a similar one
>costing 49 that had a 6-arc class-1 Graser (and an armor).

Since the battle I described a few weeks back my group have been
continuing
to use the grazer armed vessels I designed, and though the players
involved
think the graser is powerful they do not think it is any more deadlyl
than
the equivilent mass of k-guns.	The graser armed vessels have lost as
many
battles as they have won, fighting numerous types of foes with differing
doctrines and weapon systems. Like all full thrust weapons, no matter
how
powerful, if you get your move wrong, and your opponent gets his right,
you
are toast no matter what he's firing at you!

Take the example cited of 33 graser armed gunboats decking an SDN. Was
this
because they were armed with grasers specifically? I think not. Arm all
those gunboats with submunissions packs, pulse torps or whatever and
after
33 have let rip I would think most SDN's would be glowing red and
covered in
holes!

I'm a graser fan. I like them, and I use them responsibly. But if people
think they are too powerful then I'am afraid I will have to demand
K-guns
get the axe as well ;-), after all K-guns cut through armour, ignore
screens
and have a 5/6 chance on k-5 or bigger of ruining any ships day with a
single hit. Graser's make me afraid, but K-guns TERRIFY me...but I
wouldn't
want them changed, they keep me on my toes!

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: Grazers then Ship Sizes Next: Re: Boo!