Prev: Re: Grazers Next: Re: Rant Warning below

RE: [SG] Phalon beta

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:14:50 +0000
Subject: RE: [SG] Phalon beta

Brendan wrote:

> 1.  With the Support Pulsar; normally D12* denotes it can be used as a
> Point fire weapon (which requires a Major Hit to double the damage).
> You have it commented as automatic double damage when used in
pointfire
> mode.

Oops. That's a mistake. It should be a Major Hit to double the damage.

> 2.  Settings of FPd10/Id10, FPd12/Id6 and FPd6/Id12* would be a little
> more consistant with existing weapons (the only Point Fire support
> weapons are IAVR and Plasmaguns).

That begs the quesion of why they bother with a plasma gun if they can
already set their support pulsers to FP D8/Imp D12*. For that matter,
why have a support pulser that can be set to FP D6/Imp D12* if that's
what a plasma gun is set for.

The support pulser was invented when all I had to go on was Jon's 25mm
figures. He has a figure there that's a "support weapon", which I took
to be a support pulser (it could even have "pulser" in the name, I can't
remember). As far as I knew, he only intended Phalons to have a single
type of support weapon. Now the 15mm figures are out, and he threw me
for a loop. There's a new support weapon that looks a lot like an
upgunned pulser. The weapon I thought was a support pulser is actually a
plasma projector. (He also gave them a missile launcher, and I was very
pleased to see that it only handled 3 missiles!)

So, with the introduction of the 15mm figures, the Phalons have a
support weapon with FP D6/Imp D12*. That's somewhat useless given the
stats for the support pulser.

The support pulser should be more restrictive. So let's _completely_
change the stats for the support pulser. I'm thinking maybe it should be
FP D12/Imp D6, FP D10/Imp D8, and FP D8/Imp D10*. That gives them a
plasma projector that handles the FP D6/Imp D12* setting. Yes, the
asterisk after the D10 is deliberate.

The FP D12/Imp D6 setting is less than a laser sniping rifle (which is
D12/D8) and the grenade launcher (D12/D8*). The D10/D8 has greater FP
but less Imp than a SAW, and the same FP but less Imp than a Gatling
SAW. The FP D6/Imp D10* has the same firepower but less punch than the
plasma gun. This means that the Phalon support pulser is less efficient
at each setting than a dedicated weapon, which seems like a fair trade
off for a weapon that can switch settings.

> 3. Phalon IAVRs would be single shot disposable plasma weapons.
> Probably a DFFG round with detonator and basic safety equipment so you
> don't shoot yourself.

Hmm... I like this idea, though I was thinking that the Phalon IAVR had
the same stats as a regular IAVR, just different PSB for the explosive.

Assuming we go for a new Phalon weapon, what would you suggest for the
FP and Impact ratings? IAVRs already have D12*, as do plasma guns. A
HAMR does FP D8/Imp D12 x 2. A DFFG has a D12 x twice the weapon class.

I'm leaning towards FP D8/Imp D10 x 2. It's nastier than a plasma gun,
and nastier than a regular IAVR. It's not as nasty as a HAMR and has a
lower firepower die than the regular IAVR.

Other options are FP D8/Imp D12 x 2 (essentially a disposable HAMR), and
FP D10/Imp D10 x 2 (same FP as an IAVR but with better impact).

Thanks for the input, Brendan.

Does anyone else have any comments? Do the Phalons need a different
IAVR? How do you feel about the support pulser settings? I'm forwarding
this to the playtest list.

--
Allan Goodall
agoodall@att.net

Prev: Re: Grazers Next: Re: Rant Warning below