Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

UNSC beta and FB3

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:50:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: UNSC beta and FB3

Haven't played with any yet, but discussed with gaming group over lotsa
beer :)

*** Disclaimer ***
All critiques meant to be constructive and friendly, nothing intended
to be personal or negative.

General impressions are:

Hull rows:
Could be potentially very powerful.  Reduced number of threshold checks
will significantly increase weapon availability and major reduction in
core systems failure if core systems option used.  Instead of an
increase in the value of each hull box, perhaps a mutiplier to the
value of the whole ship.  E.g. compute value of ship as normal, then
multiply by 1.1 (or 1.2, 1.25, 1.3, or whatever, or 0.9, etc. for 5- or
6-rows).  This might better reflect altered system survivablity.

Superships might take advantage of 5 or 6 row hulls to reduce costs
(when you have 200-300 hull, the extra row isn't that big a handicap).
This could be a problem for cheese players.

Anti-Matter Missiles:
Two points.
1)  Instead of a new missile system with questionable PSB, we would
rather see an expansion of salvo missile systems into a comprehensive
family like Beams, PBLs, and K-Guns.  For example: SMLs are rated with
2 numbers.  The first represents the number of tubes and the second
represents the size of the missiles launched in terms of warhead
strength, e.g. FB1 SML = SML:6/1 = 6 missiles w/ 1-die warhead.  Extant
designs are unchanged, but player can choose 6/1, 4/2, 3/3, or 2/5 for
the current designs (same MASS).  Also MASS scale for other sizes eg
3/1, 9/1, 12/1, etc.  Missiles extend range at expense of warhead
strength or can increase warhead strength at expense of range without
increasing salvo MASS.

2)  Strong and universal response of "not another *!@#$%^ placed marker
missile".  We all feel that the placed-marker missile and the "roll a
die to determine number of successful lock-on" are the two worst game
mechanics in FT.  Would like to see a change to either a single turn
MT-style ordnance or direct fire mechanic.  Also would like to see
to-hit rolls for each missile (like 2+ at 1 MU).

Grasers:
Several points; 1), 2) and 4) reflect our interest in the "generic"
nature of FT.
1)  If FB3 needs a "long range beam", how about a set of MASS/cost
figures for 6- and 18 MU range bands for regular beam batteries instead
of "grasers"?

2)  If FB3 needs a "heavy beam" or a "high damage beam", we would
rather see something with the to-hit/damage mechanic of the EFSB beam
in a single-component system.  I.e. one icon with class giving # dice
to roll; no capacitor, charging, or charge tracking; system fully
cycles between game turns.  Could be in a range of ranges, e.g.
MASS/cost figures for 6-, 9-, 12-, and 18 MU range band versions.
Perhaps a scary 12- or 18- MU variable strength SV version (works good
for Vorlons and Shadows too :) ).

3)  If we are commited to the "Graser" concept, we always saw the
standard battery rerolls as internal secondaries rather than additional
hits.  We would recomend that "additional hits" be fully affected by
screens, and additional damage by allowing a penetrating reroll on a
*damage roll* of a "6".

4)  If we are commited to the "Graser" concept, how about a more
generic name that reflects its relation to the beam/pulsar/stinger
family.  "Graser", "Maser", "Mason gun/accelerator", etc. are too
setting specific.

5)  We actually have used a similar mechanic for B5 plasma weapons:
Used 3-pointed B5W "Light Plasma Cannon" icon outline (also in W/D
Archive http://nift.firedrake.org/genre/WDA-Babylon5.htm#PlasCannon )
with class number in icon.  Figure dice as for standard beam battery
but with 6 MU RBs.  Not affected by screens.  Each "hit" is treated as
a seperate pulse torpedo hit. High damage, short range.

UNSC ship designs:
These were designed bythe same person or commitee that did the other
human fleets, right?  Sigh.  It would have been nice if we could get
away from the
"two largest capital ships have a couple of fighter groups no matter
the background blurb"
and the
"collection of ships rather than a coordinated fleet" syndromes  which
aflict all human, KV and Phaln ship designs.

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers