Prev: [Offlist] Re: Trading "evil game balance" fighters for ships Next: Re: [Offlist] Re: Trading "evil game balance" fighters for ships

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Laserlight <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:31:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Jared Hilal wrote:
> Why not?  Why can't there be a section (page or two) of Fleet Book 3
> containing a full replacement for the fighter rules?

Right now we have rules scattered through FT, MT, FB1, FB2.  Some people

feel it would be better to have FT3 collect all the rules in one place,
and let the Fleet Books be, well, fleet books rather than rule books.

Jared:
> Only if the *ship* rules are also such that ships which are very high
> on the FT TMF scale are both playable and balanced, which I have come
> to understand from you that they are not.

There are a number of factors which affect ship balance, which makes
getting balance calculations more complicated than might be immediately
obvious -- and would make it quite difficult to design a ship without a
spreadsheet.  JonT wants people to be able to design ships with a pencil

and paper, so we do the best we can.

Assuming that you want to have mostly, say, mass 50-150 ships, but you
also want to occasionally bring in that mass 1000 dreadplanet -- have
you considered writing it up as if it were a collection of ships,
essentially as a mobile space station?