Prev: Fighter groups other than 6 was Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Fighter standoff attacks was Re: Fighters and Hangers

Fighter standoff attacks was Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:11:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Fighter standoff attacks was Re: Fighters and Hangers

--- Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net> wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2004 at 22:21, Jared Hilal wrote:
>
> > > That final attack move is the reason given for PDS's working the
> > > way they do, of course.
> > >
> > What final attack move?  I see FB says attacks cost an EF, and
> > secondary moves cost a separate  EF, but nowhere does it say that
> > the fighter group is moved either during, or as a result of, the
> > attack.
>
> The fighter models aren't moved on the table top, but the fighters
> are assumed to move right up to the ship being attacked and back
> again during their attack.
>
> This ties in with (a) why PDS can only shoot at fighters actually
> attacking the ship and not at any fighter group within 6MU and (b)
> why an attack uses up the same EF as 12MU secondary move.

I see how that can be inferred from the description of part 6 of the
game turn ("Allocate Fighter and Missile Attacks") as described in FB1,
however the original description of fighter attacks quite clearly
implies a stand-off capability:

FT2, pg 16-17, 1st para. under "Fighter Attacks"
"Each Fighter is armed with a single weapon, similar to a
shorter-ranged "C" Battery in effect.  The RANGE of the Fighter
weaponry is 6"..."