Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: variable hulls

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Randy Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:20:06 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

I'm not parsing this correctly...

A dogfight is only when base to base? Fine... If Jack doesn't place his
fighters in a dogfight, then I can't split fire. If he doesn't dogfight,

then there's no dice to roll. No problems.

Then how is Jack getting 24 rolls (I use 3/4 for quick math, since .78
is close to .75) if his ships aren't in a dogfight?

Second failure to parse... If Jack places 1 group, on each of Bob's
group of 6, then at _best_ Jack will get 2 dice to roll, and lose 4
fighters. Each turn. Bob will lose 2 x .78, or ~1.5 fighters, each turn.

Round 2: 2 completely unbattered groups, 2 possibly battered groups, of
22.5 (22 or 23) fighters, (there's still a good chance that one of the
fighters from Jack's attacking groups will miss) Against 20 fighters.
Jack get's 2 dice to attack with, doing another 1.5 damage, and Bob
mangle's another 4.

Round 3: Depending on who won initiative, which fighter groups were
picked on, etc, it will be 4 slightly hurt groups (of 5 fighters each),
or better. ~21 to 16.
Round 4: Unless Jack has concentrated on killing one group, all groups
still have more than 2 or more fighters. (6,6,6,3). So, another 2 dice
from Jack, and 4 kills for Bob. We're now at 19.5 to 12.
Etc.

So long as Jack continues to attack with 1 fighter per group, and so
long as Bob has groups of 2 or more fighters, he will statistically do
more damage than receiving.

(Side note: Why is dogfight range base-to-base, but ship attack range is

6"?)

Rand.