Prev: Re: [OT] Punters? Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: [OT] Punters? Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

Re: [OT] Punters? Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:22:24 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Punters? Re: After Con Report - ECC VII

I've just looked it up on http://www.yourdictionary.com/ - none of the
four results it gave matched the usage I intended ! A 'punter' usually
refers to someone who gambles (Australia's cricket captain is known is
'Punter' Ponting because of his love of gambling in his younger days)
but its use seems to have spread to mean anyone who purchases or is a
consumer. It's regularly bandied about at shows (sorry, 'conventions')
to mean the general public (AKA 'The Great Unwashed' ;-) ).

Doug Evans wrote:

>>Punters at our events are far more shopping oriented(...)
>>

>Could you explain this term? I was familiar with the paramutual
players,
>and assumed it's use for folks that like small, flat bottom boats, but
I'm