Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers

Re: [FT] The Battle of Zibriske Point, a 40000cpv battle report

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:59:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] The Battle of Zibriske Point, a 40000cpv battle report

Matt Tope wrote

>Combined fleet totalled 62 vessels, a heavy core group of 8 Hoidrac
Capital
>ships (including a mass 440 monstrosity) and 4 Escort cuiser (all
thrust 6,
>20% hull with 10% mass double layer shell armour, primary weapons
k-5's,
>k-6's, and k-10's, with scattergun back up). The Human Accord vessels,
>provided by the Sardens, consisted of 12 SM armed capitals and cruisers
and
>the remaining 30 vessels were pulse topr armed destroyers (destroyers
and
>cruisers were using advanced drives, 30% hull, screens, the capitals
being
>primarily SM barrage craft used thrust 4 standard drives instead).
>
>The Tarsonis Pact (Human forces of the Sol Republic and The Peoples
>Democratic Republic of Vartiga. The Sol Republic is the largest of the
Human
>powers and is a communist-millitary dictatorship. The PDRV is also of
the
>socilaist persuasion). Combined fleet consisted of 77 vessels,
including 34
>Sol Republic vessels (all thrust 4 advanced, hull 32-37% in THREE ROWS,
>armed with GRASERS and conventional beams), 14 destroyers and heavy
>destroyers, 14 war curisers (mass 64), 2 escort curisers and 6 shock
>cruisers (mass 94), 2BC, 2BCH (heavy Battleships), 1 BDN and 1 SDN, and
33
>Vartigan vessels (Thrust 6advanced drives, with 20%hull, 15% triple
layer
>hull armour, pulse toprs, PBL's, Pulsers and scattergun), consisting of
18
>V-Boats (heavy frigates), 9 CH, 2 BC, 3 BB, 3 SDN.

If you have (or can get) the designs used by the various fleets in some
suitable electronic format, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

>Playing area: 217mu x 184 mu, with clumps of "cometery matter here and
>there". Battle was played with forces set up within 30 mu of the edge
of the
>play area, on opposite sides of the 217mu axis.
>MU: cm's.

:-)

[...]

>GRASERS AND TRIPLE HULL.
>All four players (including myself) discussed the Sol Ships and the new
tech
>they were using. (The Sol ships were mine in case anyone was
wondering). It
>was felt that triple hulls were extremely effective at enabling a
vessel to
>survive one volley virtually unscathed, and return effective fire.

That they are, yes... in the early 3-row playtests I often failed to
realise how close to destruction my ships actually were because of this
-
even ships with a mere couple of hull boxes left often had nearly all
systems in working order! (Very annoying, since the victory conditions
in
some of those battles awarded points for ships that successfully
disengaged
from a losing battle... <g>)

The drawback is (of course) that these hulls are expensive, so in the
early
stages of a battle 3-row ships often find themselves both outnumbered
and
outgunned by cheaper but less durable 4- or 5-row ships... not so much
in
this battle though, since most of the other ships involved seem to have
used a lot of expensive tech too.

>We will conitinue to test triple hulls and grasers and will report back
on
>any new findings. However, at present the UN tech seems to be in
balance
>with the other systems, cost and mass wise, and great fun to game with!

Good! :-)

One other question: How did you find the CPV system?

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: After Con Report - ECC VII Next: Re: Fighters and Hangers