Prev: RE: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: Fighters and Hangers

RE: Fighters and Hangers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:28:38 -0500
Subject: RE: Fighters and Hangers

All of the previous looked good but for the concept that if the arms
are multi function, why not extrapolate that they're able to handle
variations on a theme. 40 arms can do 4 birds (10 arms each) or 4
arms can do 10 birds of a smaller size.

Mind you, I'm more inclined to want to see Ordies and Spotters
anchoring the bird to a platform that folds out of the deck/bulkhead
and the bird is anchored to it with cables and tractor beams by the
spotters in pressure suits. Ordies/Grapes with industrial power armor
then move up with the necessary kit to rearm the bird and turn it
around for the strike. The advantage here is that you're spotting the
small birds in a small space packed in or a bigger set of birds on
larger platforms or the deck itself.

Industrial Power armor is nice in that you only need minor fitting
changes for peculiar tasks and men in light pressure suits (lightly
armored) are able to work on the lighter tasks. A configurable set of
bay walls allows you to move handle the process in compartments that
open and close based on need and size of hanger (much like the
multiple hanger doors on modern CVs).

At 3:16 PM -0700 2/26/04, B Lin wrote:

>I can see another reasoning for a specialized fighter bay as you
>might not want ordinance lying around in every bay and perhaps
>fighter bays are additionally armored or structured so that a
>catastrophic explosion in one bay doesn't take out the ship. (a la
>classic BSG where the Cylon Raider crashes into the fighter bays)

This sounds more like ship design/hull structure. Ordinance tends not
to stay laying around. Generally it gets run up an elevator from a
magazine to be drawn over to a bird that's getting re-configured.
Navies that leave ordinance laying around tend to have problems in
battles and get reduced to non-entities when it comes to future wars.

-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: RE: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: Fighters and Hangers