Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: Fighters and Hangers

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:35:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

At 7:57 PM +0000 2/26/04, Lachlan Atcliffe wrote:
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>The only thing that gets reloaded with big automatic systems is
>things that are always aligned (missile launch rails) or are easy to
>get lined up.
>
>Which brings up the interesting question of just what an FT fighter
>carries, and how it carries it. If, say,  beamer power packs need to
>be recharged/replaced, or missile pods reloaded, there's no reason
>why it couldn't be as automated as refuelling - hook fighter to
>"service cradle", press buttons. Drop the spent item out and route
>it to Ordinance for reloading/charging, shove a new one in.

One would think, but it depends on the craft itself having a fully
automatic handling system or something that merely helps it along.
Hard points for particular types of craft could be used, but you have
to have a very standarized fighter form and that limits future
growth. Look at the Standard Series of missiles and limits imposed on
that system for the Mk26 launcher systems, now apply that same set of
limits to fighter craft. If the F-14 were tied to a form factor based
on the initial development of 1950's naval aviation, we'd be nowhere
near the level of performance for the F18 or the F14s.

One thing that strikes me is that if you have some form of automated
materials handling system they could be designed to fold out of the
way (look at the 50's truck mounted cranes vs the newest in
Microprocesser controlled HIAB cranes) so as to allow the floor space
to be used by Landing craft, shuttlepods, gigs and fighters. A multi
purpose system that is built to handle several Standard forms of
craft could be accommodated to handle a larger craft as need be.

-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: RE: Fighters and Hangers