Prev: Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together? Next: RE: simple rules for non-gamers

Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together?

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:04:25 +0000
Subject: Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:55:15PM +0000, Ground Zero Games wrote:

>I suppose that in SF, you don't have that direct competition - you
>want a Von Tegethoff, then you have to buy OUR Von Tegethoff, whether
>it's good or not! The option is that you choose to buy another model
>from someone else's range, but though it may look vaguely similar (as
>some do!) it's not a model of the same ship - so unlike the Panzer
>III example, it's seldom a case of being able to choose  the best
>representation of the same thing.

This is certainly true, but the FT gamers I know tend to tune their
designs to the miniatures available rather than the other way round -
I've bought the IJSF fleet packs because I like the look of 'em, not
because I want to play with wave guns and transformable fighters and
missile swarms so thick you could walk across them to the enemy ship...
(cough cough) OK, maybe I do a little.

But to get back to the point - I'd only buy a von Tegetthoff because I
thought it _looked_ good, not because I wanted to put one on the table
and needed the "right" miniature - the people I play with would (I think
rightly) think of that as Games-Workshop-syndrome (and there's a similar
point in the FT books every time the "official" miniatures are
mentioned). For that matter, since we only have one or two distinct
"fleets" each but don't want to leave half the rules unused, we play
non-standard ships much more often than what the miniatures actually
represent. As long as they're roughly in proportion...

Roger

Prev: Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together? Next: RE: simple rules for non-gamers