Prev: Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together? Next: Re: How to put a Tegethoff dreadnought together?

RE: simple rules for non-gamers

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:55:15 +0000
Subject: RE: simple rules for non-gamers

>Dom Mooney wrote
>
>>  First wargame I bought was Ogre - must have been around 10 at the
time.
>>  In its original form it's pretty simple. Before that I played some
WW2
>>  stuff with the old HO scale airfix figs and a small (A5) hardcover
book
>>  on designing wargames that I got from the library (by Charles umm
can't
>>  remember, it's 23 years ago!).
>
>Ah, that'd likely be 'Battle! Practical Wargaming' by Charles Grant, a
book
>that got an awful lot of us playing wargames in the early 1970s.

Yep, a true classic, and one that helped to get me started too.
Originally a series of articles in Meccano Magazine, later published
in book form. Still on my bookshelf, along with most of Doug
Featherstone's and Terry Wise's early stuff.
Sometimes, when modern rules start to look way over-complex, it's
refreshing to look back at some of these....	:-)

Jon (GZG)