Prev: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships Next: [FT] Photo's of Warships

Fwd: Re: Non-Canon Japanese fleet designs for review

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:23:01 +0100
Subject: Fwd: Re: Non-Canon Japanese fleet designs for review

FlakMagnet72 wrote:

 >>Though I'm the resident FT-guru when it comes to my local gaming
 >>group, I am a relative newbie to the game compared to most of you on
 >>this list, so constructive criticism is welcome, even invited.  If
 >>my designs apply hard-vacuum (as opposed to floating in it) please
 >>let me know how you'd change them.

Haven't had time for any deeper tactical analyses, only to check if the
designs are legal :-(

***
Bakemono CT: OK, but could equally well be TMF 14/NPV 48. (A classic
example of how rounding of fractions introduces unintended breakpoints
in a
design system, BTW - cf. our off-list discussions <g>)

***
Soyokaze DD: Legal design - but you are aware that FB1 and later only
allows ships with thrust-5 engines to make 2-point turns, no? In
Cinematic,
this ship will probably have problems bringing its P-torp to bear.

***
 >Well, my design for the Yamato is 1 MASS higher than it should have
 >been. I've narrowed the arcs of two of the Class 3's to make up the
 >different plus some extra savings besides.

That leaves the ship with quite a lot of unused mass, allowing you to
shrink the design further. What does the new design look like?

***
Musashi BDN: The points value given includes a Standard fighter group;
the
ship itself only costs 485 pts. It is generally more useful to give the
carrier's own NPV separately from the cost of its fighters, since not
all
fighter types cost the same amount of points.

***
Hiryu CVL:
				 Mass	 Cost
Mass = 166 (DN) 	-	166
Cost = 665
Thrust = 4			33	66
FTL = Normal			17	34
Hull = Weak, Military
CrewFactors = 9
Armour = 10			10	20
DP = 32 		32	64
Shields = 2			17	51

Weapons and Such
--------------------------------
Standard Fighter Bay x5 	45	135
PDS x4			4	12
Class 2 Battery (all) x2		6	18
Fire Control x3 		3	12
Total:				167	(578)

Uses 1 Mass too many. Dumping 1 FCS (it's not necessary to have more
FCSs
than weapon batteries!) makes the ship legal; the ship's own NPV (ie.,
not
counting the fighters) then becomes 574. (If you want to optimize the
design further you can make it TMF 164/NPV 567 instead.)

***
Shogun SDN:
				 Mass	 Cost
Mass = 233 (SDN)		-	233
Cost = 857
Thrust = 2			23	46
FTL = Normal			23	46
Hull = Average, Military
CrewFactors = 12
Armour = 18			18	36
DP = 70 		70	140
Shields = 2			23	69

Weapons and Such
--------------------------------
Class 3 Battery (F/AP/FP) x2	12	36
Class 3 Battery (F/FS/AS) x2	12	36
Class 2 Battery (F/AP/FP)	2	6
Class 2 Battery (F/FS/AS)	2	6
Fire Control x3 		3	12
PDS x3			3	9
Standard Fighter Bay x3 	27	81
Pulse Torpedo (F/FS/FP) x2	12	36
ADFC				2	8
Total				232	800

The design only uses 232 Mass (ship NPV 799); it looks as if you
calculated
it for 4x FCS.

***
Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships Next: [FT] Photo's of Warships