Prev: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships Next: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships

Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:39:04 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships

From: "Frits Kuijlman" <frits@pds.twi.tudelft.nl>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:08 AM

> Laserlight wrote:
> > "are the only genuine rival to the Oceanic Union in willingness to
go
> > where no-one has gone before"....the ORC, and the Alarishi Empire,
would
> > be aamused to hear such a description from the NAC.  And you should
get
> > Alan to tell you about OU survey buoys.
>
> Don't get me started on OU buoys. They are all over the place. I am
> still getting rid of all the dents in the recently returned ore
> transports.
> Sigh:-)
>
> Frits
> (aka VRC repair yards)

Well, you know what they say: Buoys will be Buoys...

And that's funny coming from VRC, since they own some of the designs,
which
the OU manufacturers under licence, or buys when they're running short.

These "Nav Buoys" (which come in several shapes and sizes, most
unmistakeably broadcasting their position, but some of which are very
effectively stealthed) have several uses.

1. As Claim markers. "OU Was Here First". Or Second. No-one takes much
notice of this.
2. As SARBE (Search and Rescue Beacons). A ship which has misjumped but
has some thrust left can often get to a system which has a buoy in. They
know that they'll get a visit sometime in the next 6 months, 12 at the
outside. There's plenty of O2, H20, Food, and energy there, plus
medication
adequate to keep large numbers of people sedated and low-maintenance.
Pilfering from these buoys by Pirates hasn't been a problem, as the OUDF
uses such Pirates as live targets during FLEETEXs. How do they know who
did
it? See 3 below.
3. As a record of who entered the system, and when. Even if the data's
years
old, it's nice to know what activity was going on. The Stealthed buoys
have
extensive passive sensors and recording equipment. The only problem with
them is that a significant number are planted, but can't be found again.
It does mean that the OU knows where the bodies are buried though,
"plausible deniability" can be blown out of the water if tapes of what
actually happened are available. The KV never did manage to find out how
the Hu'Mans knew which systems they were using as waystations in their
supply lines...
4. As Navigation aids - OU ships *may* be able to use Jumps more
accurately
in a well-surveyed system. It may only save a few percent in travel
time, but
over a long period, this can pay for itself, and some.

Prev: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships Next: Re: [FT] Even more NAC ships