Prev: Re: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS Next: Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing

RE: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:15:26 -0700
Subject: RE: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS

Well that strayed well off the original topic - which was a point system
should allow people to create fleets of equal point values that should
perform equally well against each other.  The fact that the current
system has certain loop holes (fighters) indicates that the point system
is not perfect yet.

I used an example of 300 POINTS of small boats vs. two 150 POINT ships
as example of how even if FLEETS are of equivalent value, the actual
composition of the fleet (assuming 1 point of value is equal to 1 point
of value) can allow you temporary tactical advantages (the 300 points on
150 points example).  Glen translated that into MASS which is a slightly
different ballgame since it is already known that weapons of equal MASS
are not necessarily equivalent in effect (which is why there is now a
point system).

Since the point system takes an "average" effect into consideration, the
fuzzy parts occur at the extreme tactics side.	And from what I'm
hearing, that's exactly the direction that people don't want to go.
They prefer not to have a Rock-Paper-Scissors scenario where All
Fighters, beats All Capital ships which beats Mega-ship with All PDS
which beats ALL fighters etc. With everything in between losing to those
three extremes.

One solution is to expand the Fleet Books.  If people have a choice of
100 ship classes (including mods, refits etc.) then they are more likely
to find ships that suit them.  If people are allowed to generate their
own designs and generate the situations for the battles, there will
always be inequities unless great care is spent on balancing the
scenario.

--Binhan