Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing

Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing (was: Re: Fighter Group Turn around time was: YAFS

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:29:16 +0000
Subject: Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing (was: Re: Fighter Group Turn around time was: YAFS

>_Call of Cthulhu_ and _Delta Green_ are roleplaying games. Morale is
for
>people to roleplay. Sanity, however, is a separate sub-system.
>
>For a miniatures game, you need both. I thought of doing sanity as a
part
>of
>the morale system, however you need to have two stats: a Fear stat and
>Sanity stat. Why? Because you have insane cultists with zero sanity who
may
>or may not be affected by morale. Some will, some won't. You can't have
low
>sanity meaning you run screaming into the night whenever someone yells
>"Boo!"
>because then the insane cult leader would be the biggest chicken in the

>game.

It's more a case of *what* they're afraid of, though.  Joe Cultist might
not
flinch from gunfire, but will cower away from an Elder Sign.  A couple
of
different tracks, maybe...you mention Unknown Armies, which has four
different kinds of "Stress Checks": Violence, Self, Isolation, and the
Unnatural.  Something similar might do the job here, without having to
keep
track of two different mechanics.

Having toyed with this subject myself -- I wrote a Call of Cthulhu
suppliment for the ShockForce game, which was never actually published
-- I
know where you're coming from, at least.

>_Delta Green_, which is sort of X-Files meets Cthulhu, but is far,
_FAR_
>better than that description implies, has Grey aliens. Half the
scenarios I
>thought up are _Delta Green_ inspired, and make use of Greys. I haven't

>found
>Grey figures that I really like. I bought a bunch of Gomi Design
figures
>from
>Jon, but they are a little comical. There's another company that makes
some
>really good looking Greys (the URL was posted here) but all the Greys
carry
>weapons, which isn't what I want either.

Have you seen Copplestone's Greys?  Wonderful, they is; I just picked up
pack last week.

Me, I use the Lance and Laser versions.  They're all "armed" with
probes,
which works for my purposes.

My grand plan with FMA is two interrelated games:
FMAH -- Full Metal Action Hero, for playing games of cinematic combat.
Special abilities like "I Don't Got Time To Bleed", and "One Day Left
'til
Retirement", and such.	All very tongue in cheek, obviously.

And, of course, Weirdwars.  Skirmish gaming based on urban legends and
myths.	Sewer-gators, Men in Black, Greys, Sasquatch, and so forth.

John Crimmins

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with
prime

Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing