Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:31:46 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:10:44PM -0000, Matt Tope wrote:

>I've always thought of PD/B-1 firing numerous pulses when targeting
>Fighters/missiles (hence the re-roll),

Ah, yeah, sorry, I mean in game terms. I've always assumed all the beam
batteries are multiple emitters firing multiple pulses, hence the
variable damage - but by "fire once" I meant "gets one 'attack' action
per turn".

In particular, if fighter wave attacks were interspersed with other
ships' attacks (which would be easy to justify), this could become very
hard to keep track of.

>(The
>fighters having to negotiate their way through pre-sighted zones of
PD/AD
>weapons fire rather than actually being tracked and targeted
individually).

Ah, fair enough.

I think volume becomes a problem. Certainly for a supposedly-universal
system, you can't say "the fighters are coming in really close for their
attack pass" - they could be firing standoff missiles or some equivalent
energy weapon. If a fighter is several thousand miles away, it makes a
bit less sense to say "we will fill this zone with fire" than if it's a
few miles out.

I don't think I should say much else on this topic until some form of
the playtest list's fighter proposal becomes public.

Roger

Prev: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion