Prev: Re: [SG][FT] Blank Data Sheets Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887

From: <bail9672@b...>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:48:00 -0500
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1887

(snipping: re: MD2 advanced + multi-arc weapons

> Since he's able to make only 2-pt turns, it is fairly easy to
predict where
> his (A) arc will be (unless of course he comes to a full stop, but
then
> even thrust-1 Standard drives would be sufficient to rotate to any
heading
> he wants.) IF you can get onto his tail, then there's not much he
can do to
> shake you off except split his fleet up into smaller groups which go
off
> into different directions... and thus become more vulnerable to
defeat in
> detail.

I've tried many times to get into the F or A arcs.  One thing I've
noticed,
and have pointed it out to him, is that each of his 1-pt turns seems
to be closer
to 45 degrees instead of 30.  I doubt he's doing this deliberately,
but it
bugs me to no end when my MD4 ships seem to be out-turned by MD2
ships.

Also, it's really not that easy to determine where he will be.	He can
go
port or starboard; it's not like I can have a "tailing" advantange and
get
to know which direction he goes before I plot.	It only takes a slight
turn
to get those multi-arc weapons back in arc and if I have single arc
weapons I have to guess right or I don't get to fire them.

>  >Sometimes I think having an advanced drive should have added 5%
mass, no
>  >matter the size of the drive, instead of the x3 cost.
>
> This wouldn't increase the cost of thrust-1A or -2A ships
significantly,
> while some thrust-6A ships could actually become a bit cheaper than
they
> are now.
>
> Later,
>
> Oerjan

Well, that was my idea.  To me, the loss of weaponry for faster speed
is a
losing situation for faster ships in cinematic movement; especially
when
someone plays with many-arc weapons.  Changing the cost for advanced
drives does not significantly make faster speed ships better over
slower
advanced MD ships (is there an acronym, for this?), it just makes them
a bit more expensive; so even increasing the cost to x4 is probably
not
going to help - except for ships without advanced MDs.
With the current situation, I now list all new ship designs with a
normal
MD with a second cost as it were to have advanced drives.

I've lost my thrill of FT for several reasons: faster ships are worse
off
in cinematic (and I'm the only one willing to play vector),
I'm very unlucky with dice, and Steve is just so dang lucky with dice;
(which may be my main problem and NORMALLY the rules
are just fine)
a couple minor nits: needs better sensor rules and better cloaking
rules.
We do not play except when Steve comes to town during school
breaks.  And there is another Steve who is also lucky, the mini's he
has are NSL (oh joy).

And don't tell me to play with book ships.  I generally hate them,
and I have no care to play in the "official" universe (I don't like
playing the Traveller RPG universe either, so its not just GZG's).
There's also this thing about having ships based on our current
wet navy designations when space ships may follow a whole
other criteria (i..e, aircraft, submarines).
I have scads of Star Trek miniatures, and an assortment of other
miniatures that I'd prefer to use.

Glen

Prev: Re: [SG][FT] Blank Data Sheets Next: Re: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion