Prev: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention Next: Re: [OT]New Virus in the wild

Re: [OT]New Virus in the wild

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:47:23 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT]New Virus in the wild

> Just to remind people : don't open an attachment if you're not sure
that
> it's kosher. NO matter who it says it's from.

We got the warning message at work this morning. It's pretty virulent.
It's
apparently set up to send a whole _lot_ of messages as a denial of
service
attack on February 1, with a shut down date of February 12. Definitely
make
sure the virus checker is up to date.  The worm is known as:

W32.Novarg.A@mm
W32/Mydoom@MM
WORM_MIMAIL.R

The extensions on the attachment are .bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif, .scr, or
.zip.
It affects only Windows 95 through XP machines.

If you need to send e-mail attachments to someone, send them an e-mail
asking
them to let you send it to them. Ask them to include an "okay" phrase in
your
e-mail. This should be a non-trivial phrase, maybe even with a short
code
word or something. A lot of e-mail programs allow you to filter messages
with
attachments. You can trash anything with an attachment except if the
e-mail
has your specific "okay" phrase. Is this a bit paranoid? Yes. But
remember,
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are _not_ out to get you.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention Next: Re: [OT]New Virus in the wild