Prev: URL RE: [FT] New Kra'Vak Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention

Re: [Really OT]Peperoni and Citrus

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:13:25 +1100
Subject: Re: [Really OT]Peperoni and Citrus

From: "Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>

> I figure the California citrus thing for a scam, anyway. The first
thing
> we did when we got into the state proper was to buy more fruit - thus
> keeping those California orchards profitable. Forget biological/pest
> reasons; it's a marketing ploy!
>
> Australia could well have legit bio worries - but California? Doubt
it!

Funnily enough... we have similar internal quarantine stations around
our
fruit-growing areas too. It's to stop the spread of Fruit-Fly, which is
endemic in the local ecology, but which *can* be eradicated in limited
areas, with much effort.
As it's relatively easy to keep out Fruit-Fly, and the crop yield can
increase
by over a hundred percent if you do even a half-way good job of it, I
suspect
that California's quarantine is (or was at one time) legit.

Prev: URL RE: [FT] New Kra'Vak Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention