Prev: Re: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident Next: Re: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident

Re: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:34:36 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:16:38PM -0500, Ryan Gill wrote:

>As far as venting atmosphere to protect a ship,
>figure that on a much larger warship, it'll be
>designed to so so just like warships are desgined
>to flood down compartments and bunkers to deal
>with damage (or used to be).

Yes, but venting atmosphere is a really bad way of putting out a fire -
unless you have several hours to wait while it cools off.

On the other hand, I think it very likely that, if the vacuum suits are
good enough, it will be standard procedure to vent a ship before combat
anyway, thus minimising secondary damage from explosive decompression.

Roger