Prev: RE: GZG Questions Next: RE: Spaceships American Style?

Re: [FT] seeking Salvo Missile advice

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:17:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FT] seeking Salvo Missile advice

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> This is the real problem with "vector-moving" missiles. They're not
> that much of a problem in deep-space battles, because it usually
takes
> so long to build up the attack vector that a mobile would-be target
has
> time to move away from the danger area (especially in Cinematic); in
> one-off deep-space battles this translates into a rather extreme
> sensitivity to the exact set-up conditions used.
>
> Most military SF backgrounds I've seen either ignore the
> hypervelocity missile strike tactic completely or ban it by referring

> to politics - eg., in the Honor Harrington books you normally don't
do
> hypervelocity strikes against orbital installations because the
> Solarian League will annihilate you in case you hit the planet by
> accident... even so it pops up in at least two of the HH books (Flag
in
> Exile and... Ashes of Victory IIRC).

Assuming that we have an eye to playing campaign style deep-space
battles (i.e. planets & infrastructure change hands but are not subject
to attack), my questions still stand:

Given the description of the mechanics of movement and target
acquisition that I gave and that the cost and mass are to remain the
same as FB1 (launcher 3 mass, salvo 2 mass, 3 NPV per mass each);

How much should each EF be worth?
9, 10 or 12?  More? (15, etc)

How many missiles should be in the (mass 2, 6 NPV) salvo?
3, 4 ,5, 6 or more?

Plus a new question:
What are the primary set-up factors influencing the "extreme
sensetivity" that you mention?

Prev: RE: GZG Questions Next: RE: Spaceships American Style?