Prev: [speeding OT...} Re: this is a first... Next: RE: Firefly (was: Re: this is a first...)

RE: Firefly (was: Re: this is a first...)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:07:10 +0000
Subject: RE: Firefly (was: Re: this is a first...)

>Giveth us a comparison of Friefly to B5, John! I didn't watch it
>here in the states for the sam reason below.  R/Robert

OK. You asked for it.
This is all, of course, IMHO. YMMV.  ;-)

First, I'm a big B5 fan, but I've never been over-impressed with JMS'
dialogue. Sure, he's created a marvellous overall story arc (we'll be
charitable and let him off about season 5, that wasn't really his
fault!), but I don't think even the biggest fan would dispute that
some of the actual writing was cheesy in the extreme....
Whedon, on the other hand, is a genius at this sort of thing - the
interplay between characters just feels so RIGHT.
Perhaps the biggest difference is that B5 was about big events - the
future of whole races and a fair chunk of our galaxy. Firefly is
about the little guy. It's nine people on one tatty umpteenth-hand
cargo ship that's held together by duct tape, baling wire and
Kaylee's love of engineering (oh, did I mention she's
CUUUUUUTE....(Kaylee, not the ship)?). No-one else in settled space
gives a stuff whether any of them live or die - OK, except for a few
recurring bad guys who'd prefer them dead.
Basic backstory is that there was a war between the Alliance and the
Rebels (in other words, The Union and the Confederacy....). The
Alliance won.  Now the people who were on the losing side have to
deal with that. Guess which side Mal Reynolds was on? So, he buys a
cheap ship, installs his old army buddy Zoe as First Mate, hires a
pilot (Wash) and an engineer (Kaylee), and then along the way picks
up a few other odds and ends of humanity - Book, a Shepherd
(preacher); Jayne (male, despite the name, a true mercenary - he'll
fight well if there's profit in it, but sell out his own grandmother
to save his skin); Inara (a Companion - think
Geisha/courtesan/high-class hooker....) who plies her "trade" from
one of Serenity's two shuttles. Finally there's Simon (the doctor)
and River, his apparently-mad sister - these two are on the run from
the Alliance, just to add to the fun. Oh, and Wash and Zoe are
married (to each other).

The beauty of Firefly is that mostly, nothing really happens which
affects anyone outside the major characters themselves. This is THEIR
story, and the rest of the universe just goes on its way quite
obliviously. Whedon has said something to the effect that all he does
is throw one event in at the beginning, and then spend the rest of
the episode showing how everyone involved reacts to it - it's not
quite that simple, but it's not far off. You know that at the end of
the episode, they're not going to have saved the Galaxy or defeated a
vile alien menace - if they are lucky, they might just have survived
with their own skins and possibly made enough bucks to buy some food
and fill the tanks at the next stopover. Morality is flexible - Mal
is basically a good guy, but he WILL kill someone if he needs to -
and he won't lose sleep over it either. Jayne is the brave fighter
one minute, the quivering coward the next...... I could ramble on for
ages (can you tell I LIKE this series?) but what I'm trying to get at
is that each of the characters is wonderfully three-dimensional, and
Whedon manages to bring all this out so very, very well. I'm not
saying that B5's characters were exactly shallow, but they were often
predictable - Firefly keeps throwing throwing skewballs at the viewer
all the time. You just think you've really got a handle on how a
character works, then suddenly you're thinking "he did WHAT??" - but
then you realise just how that fits in with who that character is.....

The emotional interplay is very strong, with all the unstated
complications of any mixed-sex group living in a tight community. Mal
and Inara have a love-hate relationship, Wash and Zoe are happily
married but there is a deeply buried resentment of Mal and Zoe's
"bond of comradeship" from the war, Kaylee fancies Simon but he's too
scared to reciprocate, Book is much more than he seems, Jayne loves
his guns first and anything with XX chromosomes and a pulse second....

Some of the Western elements are maybe a bit overdone - but then
Whedon wanted to make a Western, and the studios wouldn't let him, so
he did Firefly! Personally, I can live with that. The humour is
subtle and quickfire - comic lines are thrown in in such a deadpan
manner that they can easily be missed if you're not concentrating -
but they sound like people talking to each other, not "hey everyone,
I'm making a joke here!". This is a series to watch with the TV
turned up, the door firmly shut and a big "do not disturb" sigh on
it.....

Oh, and they swear in Mandarin. According to last month's SFX, choice
epithets include "Frog-humping bastard" and "Son of a drooling
prostitute and a monkey". All delivered in Chinese, with no
translation. Now, if only Picard had done that occasionally....  :-)

Personal favourite episodes? Probably "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Heart of
Gold".

OK, I admit it. I'm a fan.   ;-)

Jon (GZG)

>>From: Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>