Prev: DS2 up on eBay Next: Re: Ship Bits files for Power Projection

RE: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:28:57 -0600
Subject: RE: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

On 12 Dec 2003 at 13:10, Brian B wrote:

> My point was, ENOUGH people won't like it that it's
> formation will be messy at best..... or there's going
> to be a HUGE migration of African Americans away from
> it.  I don't know what the demographics are, but what
> % of the population is black in those states?  I just
> don't think the re-institution of the Confederacy
> would be as smooth and cut-and-dried as some might
> think.  YMMV.

It's interesting moving from Ontario to Louisiana. Much of what I
expected to see hasn't come to fruition.

First, I live in northern Louisiana. There is less in common between
Monroe, where I live, and New Orleans than between many states. The
area in the south of the state is quite a bit different from the rest
of the state. I've been thinking about whether or not the New Orleans
area would actually go with Texas, and I think that's fair given that
N.O. would have a fair bit of trade, and a fair bit in common, with
Houston. Northern LA is close in outlook to rural Texas and Arkansas,
so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Where you get major splits in the south is between rural and urban
populations. Since these aren't geographic, I think your inclusion of
LA with Texas is probably a good one. The big loser will be
Mississippi, which has a lot in common with rural LA, but probably
wouldn't get included in a bigger Texas. Mississippi, Alabama and
maybe chunks of Florida and Georgia would link together (or, rather,
Alabama and Mississippi would want to link together for mutual
economic protection). Tennessee is tough. It would probably go along
with Oklahoma and/or Missouri, whatever you've done with them. It
could also go with Kentucky, but in that case I see Kentucky
splitting, with Louisville and parts north sticking with Ohio, and
southern Kentucky going with Tennessee. (TN and KT combining, though,
makes some sense as they could leverage the economic advantages of
being near Texas and Ohio).

As for the rebirth of the Confederacy... not in LA if sizable chunks
of LA go to Texas. You'd see a rebirth of the Texas Republic, not the
Confederacy. Yes, there is a lot of sentimental attachment to the
Confederacy. That attachment is bigger in rural areas. I think Brian
makes a good point about the African-American population. Monroe has
60%+ African-American. The average for the state isn't 50%, but it's
higher than the national average. That's a lot of leverage against a
lot of baggage. Some would push for it, and they could even end up
being a political force internally, but Texas will be Texas, not part
of the Confederacy again. Florida is more Canadian than it is
Confederate these days, so it's not going to go with the Confederacy
idea either. The Neo-Confederacy would consist of Mississippi,
Alabama, maybe Georgia and the Carolinas if it existed. If your
states divide some other way, no neo-Confederacy.

--

Allan Goodall		     agoodall@hyperbear.com
http://www.hyperbear.com

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Prev: DS2 up on eBay Next: Re: Ship Bits files for Power Projection