Prev: Re: [FT] ESG conversion Next: Re: [FT] Campaign Poll

Re: Galactica 2003

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:17:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Galactica 2003

> In short, I liked it plotwise, characterwise (I hated Baltar, but was
> intrigued with his twist), and space combat-wise. Only the last is
> really relevant to this list, though.

You are supposed to hate Baltar...  Granted, the original Baltar was
much
more fun to loathe, but still...

> I think the space combat was a cross between cinematic and vector. We
> saw fighters yaw/pitch while keeping direction, but I didn't get a
good
> feel for how the fighters themselves made 180 degree changes of
> movement - it seemed a bit too fast for a vector reversal. There are
> clearly grav type forces available. I suspect PSB of linear/vector
> turbo boosters +cinematic grav  turning ability. The battlestar and
> basea stars give little indication of combat speed - but IMO showed at
> most thrust 1 or 2 in combat.

An interesting point, is that it implies that you will want to point the
catapults the direction you want the fighters to go.

> Primary armaments were slugs and missiles. I loved the Galactica's
> Point defense barrage. Its what missile combat should look like in FT,
> IMO.

You might want to try StarFire for a better fit...

> Galactica combat in general would be hard to model in FT. The
> Battlestars and Base Stars would be mega-carriers of some kind (400
> mass?) Vipers would be Heavy fighters (or extra-heavy 3-point
fighters)
> - you see them taking knocks	and still surviving. Cylon fighters are
> almost scoutship sized vehicles - 2 per "group" with special weapon
> loads. Ships seem incapable of engaging fighters effectively, though
> they do OK with missiles  - when the defense grid is active/armed.

I'd wait to see what happens when fighters try straffing a BattleStar or
BaseShip...

> I'm not a big fan of the retractable landing bays. It seems like a
> purposeless plot device, but it looked cool.

I suspect it is done for FTL, but it does seem a little corny...

> I liked Boomer's Raptor "scout" ship. It seems like what a scoutship
> should be. Jumping in Galactica does not seem to be as hard on people
> as in FT - preparations/calculations take a long time (many game
> turns), but give little to no warning before jump.
>
> One last complaint  - it was a copout we only saw some of the 12 types
> of human cylons by the end. Clearly they're keeping some/many
> intentionally mysterious, so they can pull the "covert cylon plot"
> several times if they reach series format, but just showing us several
> of the same models we've already seen bugged me (except for
> ***spoiler****).

Don't worry, they'll make more models Cylons if they need to...

ias

Prev: Re: [FT] ESG conversion Next: Re: [FT] Campaign Poll