Prev: Re: Raising young Gamers Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1822 Next: [ECC] Power Projection

RE: Raising young Gamers Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1822

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:06:01 -0000
Subject: RE: Raising young Gamers Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1822

>Second biggest rule is silly is fine... zombie amazons protecting the
great chocolate
>box temple from the heroic band of dwarf loving centaurs would freak
out
some of the
>more straight laced historical gamers down here, but kids love it.
After
that its a
>surprisingly short step to "Mum I did Napoleon's grand battery in show
and
tell today!".

Good advice Beth - especially the "include them".

My youngest, used to love to just play with the individually mounted
28mm
figures (yes, I had to have loads of glue and greenstuff handy
afterwards,
but she tried) and terrain including the fairly robust big trees, a
celtic
farmstead, an Egyptian House, and "baggage" elements.  She vene helped
build the Farmstead which is another _really_ good tip for buy-in.

When I painted up a group of female RPG characters that play gradually
moved into a skirmish game with v.v.simple rules.  Okay, the theme was
almost always "the good and heroic girls freeing the enslaved
Nubians/Celts
and fighting off Dad's horrible Egyptian Bowmen/Roman Legionairies who
are
coming to imprison them all again" but she found it great.  And it was
only
a short step into a Romano-Celtic RPG, with no real magic but hinted-at
Druidic powers.... which she keeps asking for every holiday now.  :-) or

:-( I don't know, as I don't have the time to knock-up the adventures!

Strategy was only slowly learnt but it's a case of enjoying it and
playing
so _they_ have a challenge which isn't too easy but can be fun (I
enjoyed
it, anyway ;-) ).

It had already worked with her elder brother: he now acts as a GM/aide
for
a participation game and regularly plays FT - so much so he wants to
take
FT around as a participation game next year.

Success!

Tim Bancroft

Prev: Re: Raising young Gamers Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1822 Next: [ECC] Power Projection