Prev: Re: Headgear Next: Re: [SG2] weapons

Re: Headgear

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:10:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Headgear

At 11:48 AM -0800 11/27/03, John Atkinson wrote:

>Frankly, CNN has one of the worst reputations for
>biased coverage and body-count news.  Besides which,
>as near as we can tell, they try to cover the war

CNN's management have very little love for the
Iraqi Regime. Having had several contacts that
our current Managing News Editor end up Dead in
Kuwiat (parts mailed back to the family) kind of
tainted Eason's view of the Baathist. We sat in a
Division Town Hall meeting prior to the start of
the war and listened to this.

>without leaving their cushy Baghdad hotel.  Reminds me
>of the stories my father tells of reporters from
>Vietnam who filed every one of their stories from the
>Saigon bars.

I know for a fact that some of our embedded
reporters were with the troops in the field. Fred
Gamel's son had one of our guys with his Mar-Div
in Basra. Knowing that the guy who ran the phone
system he was patching into had a son in that
Marine unit, the reporter found Matt and got him
in touch with his dad a few times.

Keep in mind that there were plenty of reporters
from many different units around moving all
around. Part of the CNN mode is to gather news
from disparate sources including other
international agencies and use that to magnify
what we report on (AP, Reuters, affiliates, etc).
The source for CNN might be a writer from another
agency that exchanges news with CNN.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: Headgear Next: Re: [SG2] weapons