Prev: Japanese Fleet concept Next: Re: Headgear

Re: Headgear

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:46:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Headgear

Hi folks,

In relation to the "boonie hats vs. helmets" discussion, I'm including a
link here that probably won't work...

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/scripts/PortWeb.dll?query&field1=Ke
ywor
ds&op1=contains&join1=and&field2=Keywords&op2=contains&value2=athena&joi
n2=a
nd&field3=Description&op3=contains&join3=and&field4=Filename&op4=contain
s&jo
in4=and&field5=Description&op5=contains&join5=and&field6=IPTC_City&op6=c
onta
ins&join6=and&field7=IPTC_DateCreated&op7=on+or+after&jon7=and&field8=IP
TC_D
ateCreated&op8=on+or+before&sorton=IPTC_DateCreated&ascending=0&catalog=
comb
at&template=searchResults_e&Submit=Search&offset=96

This is a photo album on the Canadian Forces website, with pics of the
current operations in Kabul (and incidentally there are a bunch of
interesting photos of all kinds of stuff throughout that site).

What struck me about this particular page was the Canadian soldiers on
patrol in boonie hats.	The page I'm trying to link here is number 9 of
lots.  Page 5 has some pics of Cdn troops in our new CADPAT arid-area
camo
uniforms that is darned effective.

Canadian troops often try to patrol with "less offensive" looking
attitude
(hence boonie hats) though they're fully tactical and have helmets if
needed.  We lost two guys recently because their vehicle was destroyed
by a
big-ass mine, and that causes a ruckus in the media here about their
light
vehicles being insufficiently protected, etc.  What didn't get much
airtime
was the fact that based on the size of the explosion, they probably
would
have died if riding in a tank let alone a jeep, and several army-types
said
they preferred the light vehicles because it enabled them to interact
with
the local populace much easier.  This must have paid off because a few
days
ago locals reported to the Canadian troops that someone had hidden
rockets
in an abandoned building next to the Cdn base.	The Cdn's investigated
and
discovered unguided rockets set to fire on the base with a remote timer
or
something equiv., and disarmed them.

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Japanese Fleet concept Next: Re: Headgear